Road trip to the South of the North: Te Puia and Lake Taupo

December 14, 2015

In the beginning of the month April 2015: 
  • Got pointed as the International Student Ambassador for Auckland (the story about it can be found here)
  • Lost in direction for my research, didn't know what to do and how to do it
  • Super duper tired struggling between research and part time job
  • Need a vacation but don't have that much money
In the middle of the month, my friend asked me to join her and her fiance to their road trip in the end of the month. I wanted to go, but I didn't have that much money. My friend kept persuade me to join them. She mentioned the itinerary, including the budget that I have to prepare. I read over and over until finally I said yes. It was a great opportunity and it came in the right time when I was really tired of everything and I need some break. 

In the end of the month, I joined the road trip to the south part of the north island with my friends. In total, there were five of us. and I was the only one who had an experience driving in this country. I had to teach the guys from Auckland to our first destination, Te Puia. Thankfully, they are a fast learner. 

Te Puia 


New Zealand is pretty much well known with their geothermal resource. And Te Puia is one of the best destination to getting more knowledge about the geothermal. It is a geothermal valley with their geyser. It is located in Rotorua, around 3 hours drive from Auckland. They offer different kinds of tours: guided and non-guided. It is including the Maori culture performance. 

We planned to join the guided tour with enjoying Maori culture performance. But, it was unfortunate when we reached there, the tour already began and we didn't have time to wait for the next performance. We decided to wander by our self. The good side, two of us are studying geothermal. We have our own tour guide! 



Pohutu Geyser on the left and Blue Lake on the right 

Historically speaking, according to Maori culture, Pohutu are viewed as gifts from the gods. It is said that the Te Whakarewarewa Thermal Valley, which is located of Pohutu geyser, was formed when tow sisters Te Pupu and Te Hoata (the Goddesses of Fire), traveled below the earth while looking for their brother. As they got closer to the brother, the sisters would lift their heads above the surface, which creates the geysers and other geothermal hotspots along their way (source: tepuia.com). 

Scientifically speaking, it is a complex plumbing system. The process begins when rainwater starts to boil and create steam. Why is it boiling? It happens because of the heat from molten rock underground. The pressure from underground forces its way upward through the geyser vent and the eruption happens. It can be erupting to 30 m (100 feet) up to 20 times a day. Such an active geyser. 

Okay, I think I should stop explaining the geyser. I am not the expert about it, so I better to stop. 

Our next destination for the first day was Lake Taupo.   

Not my first time went to Lake Taupo, but it was my first-time cruising the lake. 



Lake Taupo is one of the biggest lakes in New Zealand. It is same big as Singapore. So, if I said that I cruised the lake for two hours, it can be said that I explored Singapore for two hours. We joined the 2-hours cruise by Ernest Kemp Replica Steamboat. The main point joins the cruise was so we can see the Maori rock carvings. Super duper grateful that the weather was really cooperative on that day. It was a bit cloudy, but as long as it was not raining, we're happy. 


This is the famous of Maori Rock carvings, the icon of Lake Taupo. It was made by carver Matahi Whakataka-Brightwell and Jonathan Randell in the late 1970s. They were on a boat trip around the Western Bays when they saw the cliff. They decided to use it as a canvas for their Taupo artwork, and viollaa! 

There are some others of their artworks around the cliff, but unfortunately, I couldn't get the good picture. This was my best shot. 


Before heading to our next stop, we ate our late lunch. Tempe kering, rendang, and rice for our meal. We cooked it in Auckland. It was really simple, but we loved it because it was delicious and we shared it with friends. 

That's all our journey for the first day. I will continue writing up the road trip. 

Stay tuned peeps! 


You Might Also Like

0 Comments