Road Trip to North of the South: Abel Tasman National Park

December 15, 2015

This is still the same road trip as the previous post. Actually, I was thinking to put the title as "Road Trip to the South of the North feat. the North of the South". Then, I realized, it is too long. So, I make it short into the current title. 

We arrived in South Island in the super early morning. The car that we rent was already in the parking lot, we're just picking up the key from the receptionist in the port. It was so convenience for us. We already booked a package for paddle boarding in the Abel Tasman National Park at 10 AM, so we had to reach there before the time. It needs around 3 hours to reach there by driving from the ferry port in Picton. Thanks to the driver, Mr. B, we got there just almost the time. 


It was my first time doing paddle board. A paddle board is different from a kayak. The correct way doing paddle board is to stand in the board and paddle. And if the wave is coming, just wait until it passes our paddle. Don't fight the wave, because it will make you suffer and the paddle is going backward. We have to wait and if we let the wave pass our paddle, we will move forward. It also needs to keep it mind that we have to do paddling in the opposite of the wind direction. If we go in the same direction as the wind, it will push as to keep forward. It is dangerous because it can lead us to go too further from the shore. 



Anyway, since I was so afraid to fell down to the sea (I had a bad experience with the wild sea), I kept paddling in my very comfortable position, sitting. We got two hours for paddling and our aim was to go to the other side of the shore. As you can see from the picture, we have to go to the other side of the shore and it is quite far (ps: the picture was taken by Mr. B, who secretly took my picture from behind). I though paddle boarding will be not that tired, turned out, it was exhausted. I took a break sometimes, not paddling, just sit and let the wave passed thru. 


This is it! This is what we were aiming for. The famous, Split Apple Rock, the icon of Abel Tasman National Park. No one really knows when and how the rock became like that. After we reached the rock. we had to paddle back again into where we begin. It was another tired journey again for me. It was not the end of the story for today. We had another booking. We booked a short boat tour, wandering the Abel Tasman. 


I was really tired by the time I joined the tour. I fall asleep for a while. Thankfully, it was a sunny day, I wore my sunglasses and no one notice that I slept. I guess my friend wake me up when we were going to see this cute little creature in their habitat. I was fully awake by the time the boat getting closer, and I was able to capture the moment. Hey, you there cute little friend! 


The boat left us in another bay, which I forgot what was the name is. Maybe it was Torrent Bay, but not really sure. 


Then how we're going back? Of course, we had to walk. We had to walk 12,4km. Bring it on baby! I was really tired because of paddle boarding, but nothing I could do except walk. We walked up to the top, down to the hill, going inside the jungle. 

It was unfortunate that I only have a zoom lens with me and it was running out the battery. I couldn't get that much picture on the way to Marahau. Here's some picture from Mr. B, 




When we finished our long walk, all of us already really exhausted and we still a long way to do the lodge.

Will update the rest of the road trip later. 
See you! 


You Might Also Like

0 Comments