4 Things I learned from My Last Trip to Cathedral Cove, Coromandel

December 05, 2016

Cathedral Cove is one of my favourite place in New Zealand. It is different from other beaches. Maybe because it needs an effort to get there.  I already went there three times, and I always had the different experiences during my visit. But, my last trip in September 2015 was the best experience. I learned several things during my trip. Below is four important things that I want to share from my trip. 


1.       Checking the weather forecast is important!

I am from Indonesia, and in my country, we don’t have an accurate weather forecast. We can’t really predict how the weather. I don’t check forecast whenever I am going on the trip. Whatever is going to happen, I am just going to accept. And, I get used it. I rarely check the forecast even when I am in a foreign country with an accurate forecast.

I went to Cathedral Cove in September 2015. It was during the transition from winter to spring in New Zealand. I didn’t really check the weather forecast the day before I went. I checked the forecast a week before the trip when I planned the trip. Oh well, even that time I only checked it was going to rain or sunny day.

I didn’t really check. 

-- 

The moment I arrived from inside the car I said, “YEAY IT’S SUNNY!”

But, when I stepped out from the car, “WHY IT’S WINDY?”

Oh yes, it was a sunny day, but the wind blew quite annoying.

That kind weather makes me confuse what should I wear. I was thinking to wear one layer cloth and I did. But the wind didn’t allow me to wear only one layer.

In the end, I tried to ignore the wind, tried my best to enjoy the sun and the beach.

---

Lesson learned, check the weather forecast before going on trip!    

2.       Make sure to know the direction to the destination.

Cathedral Cove is not that far from Auckland, and there is only one highway to get there. I trust GPS on it.

Andd… turned that my friends and I got lost. I didn’t know whose fault it was. Did I put the wrong address? Or was it the GPS not working?

We tried to search the right path through our phone, but the signal was bad.

In the end, we used the manual map and the guide book and we reached the destination!

Note to myself, make sure that I search the direction to the destination online before I go, write it up on notes, don’t 100% trust the GPS and always bring map. 

3.      Always wear something comfortable to walk.
I am a typical person who prefers to bring less whenever travel. Everything depends on the destination and the length of the trip. The trip to Cathedral Cove was only for two days. It was weekend gate away. I only wore my ked-shoes, and I didn’t bring anything else.

I am grateful that I wore my proper shoes because it was long walk from the car park to the cove. 


This picture was taken from the car park. The Cove is located down there, on the left side (not in the picture). It is about 30 – 40 minutes walking distance from the car park. The path is not always easy to get by. There is bushes and cobblestones road, which can be slippery.

Even though the cove is located in the beach and it always good to wear flip-flops on the beach, better to be prepare for the 30 – 40 minutes walking distance.

4.       There’s another beauty on the other side of the cove.

As I mentioned, it was my third times to Cathedral Cove., But it was my first time went to the other side of the cove. During my first and second visit, I didn’t have the chance to go the other side. It was due to high tides. 


This (picture below) is inside the cove. People can walk through when the tide is low and they can see this…



Based on my experiences, usually, the another side of the cove is less crowded during winter.

------

That is all, hope it can be useful for the reader to be prepared before going to Cathedral Cove. And, just reminder, since it is close from Auckland, it is a popular destination during summer. It is one of the good places to sunbathe. It usually packed during summer. 

Oh, one thing, I heard that Cathedral Cove can be reached from Hahei beach using a kayak. Maybe it can be an alternative way to go there in case worry to get lost going there by car. 


You Might Also Like

0 Comments