The Lost Masterpiece

July 20, 2013


I write the title like that because to be honest I didn't know that this place is exist until I finished my bachelor degree, means I'm 22 yo! Crazy, huh? 

Well anyway based on the information that I get from the booklet when I went there, 

This masterpiece is called Ratu Boko Palace, made by Rakai Panangkaran in 746 - 784 AD. It is part of the royal palace of Old Mataram Kingdom, from 8th Century. However, based on the historical evidence, this site was called Abhayagiri Wihara around those times. The meaning of Abhayagiri Wihara is the Buddhist monks dormitory which is located on top of a peaceful hill. 

Later, in 1970 a researcher from Netherlands found the remains of this site and held a research over there with the title of the research was Keraton Van Ratoe Boko. Since the wreckage was found in mount Ratu Boko, the place is known as Ratu Boko Palace. 



The First Main Gate


The Second Main Gate





Unfortunately because of the earthquake in 2006, some of the sites was damaged and still under construction until today. Yet this place is really astonishing and worth to visit even thought it's far from the city center (around 18 km). The ticket fee is IDR 25,000 for each person and we will get free drink in the entrance. It's located in Jalan Raya Prambanan Km 2, Yogyakarta - Indonesia. 

ps: better to go there in super early morning before the sunrise because based on my experience, the sunrise from up there is very beautiful. 

Yogyakarta, 5 July 2013

You Might Also Like

0 Comments